Monday, July 08, 2013

Holland Day 2:

Night 1 = rough.  The kids went to bed fine but I heard footsteps at 1:30 and they didn't fall back asleep until 5 am!  I tried to remain calm and I did a really good job remembering what it was like to be a kid, wide awake in the middle of the night with nothing to do but I lost patience when they started asking for things.  Mabel wanted powder for her bottom because it hurt :-/ and Jbird said he wasn't going to go back to sleep.  Amelia was the best of the 3.  She just laid there and ended up back asleep by 4:30.  She was up at 10am and the other two woke up at 11.  

Thankfully everyone slept a little but they're still tired and trying to get adjusted.  They've created their own morning ritual...feeding the deer and goats.  They spend hours over there.

We went on a walk with Opa


 

We drove into "little town" to go to the store and get some frites but it was closed because it's Monday. Oops...forgot that one.  So, we headed to "big town" to get some lunch.
I got my frites special and kids got some ice cream!  After lunch, I stopped at the store and added carrots to our cart to feed the horses.  We used to feed the horses all the time when I was a kid.  Opa took the kids to the pond to feed the ducks while I shopped.  
We dropped by Uncle Bert's house to say hi and feed the horses.  



Freek (my childhood friend from summers in Holland) and his family came for dinner and drinks at the farmhouse.  It was so nice to see them.  We played a little soccer, the kids played, we drank beers and caught up on the last 10 years!!!!


 Our little kitchen with our even smaller fridge behind Amelia.  
It's perfect.  It reminds me of my Oma's kitchen.  I love not having a dishwasher, the way the coffee smells, the dish soap, etc.  All the smells and feelings remind me of Oma.  :(  

Off to bed!



1 comment:

...all of us said...

I hope sleep goes better tonight. I knew that staying at a farm house was going to create its own built in entertainment for the kids; goats, sheep, horses, ice cream- sounds perfect!